Air travels have been described as the fastest means of transportation. The air hostages will always ensure that you are comfortably seated back in the full upright positions especially during landing and take-off. You will also be reminded to ensure that your electronic devices ie smartphone, tablet, mobile phones are all in airplane mode. it is an important step that all passengers adheres to this directives as the flight crew prepares for either takeoff or landing.
How Airplane Mode Works
Your electronic devices all contain a number of different wireless radios that are used to ensure effective communication. These include connecting to your cellular provider for voice calls, SMS and data, as well as GPS, Bluetooth, and many more. The moment the airplane mode, also known as flight mode or offline mode is turned off, all of these wireless features remain turned off as well
Why It Is Used
The radio emissions from these mobile device cause interference with the airplane’s onboard systems. While a single phone probably won’t pose many issues, a plane full of active wireless devices from its passengers, particularly those searching for a network signal, can generate a great deal of radio pollution. This alone inhibits the pilot’s ability to communicate effectively with air traffic controllers leading to “noisy” audio.
How to Enable Flight Mode on Your Phone
It’s easy to switch your mobile device on airplane mode. It only requires a few short steps.
To enable flight mode on an iPhone:
- Open Control Center from the Home Screen. On most iPhones, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen. For iPhone X, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the airplane icon.
- Alternatively, you can open the Settings app on your iPhone and enable airplane mode by tapping the corresponding slider.
- To enable flight mode on an Android device Simply Swipe down twice from the top of the screen to reveal the Quick Settings panel.
- Tap on the Airplane Mode icon in the displayed grid.
- or users can open up the Settings app on your Android phone, look under Wireless & Networks (or equivalent), and tap the appropriate toggle for Airplane Mode.
Communicating in Airplane Mode
- When your mobile device is in airplane mode, it will not connect to the 3G/4G cellular network of any wireless provider. As a result, many of your regular forms of communication will be halted.
- When people attempt to call you, it would be the same as if you were outside of the network service area. By default, calls are directed to voicemail.
- If the caller does not leave a voicemail, the called party will not know that he or she missed a call.
- People can still send text messages to you, but the receiver will not receive them until your device reconnects to the cellular network.
If you have Wi-Fi calling enabled on your plan and you connect to the in-flight Wi-Fi service, you may be able to receive phone calls that way.
Certain messaging apps, including WhatsApp, Facebook allows users to send offline messages. The message is saved on their devices and will be sent automatically when your phone reconnects to the Internet.
In-Flight Wi-Fi Networks
When you enable airplane mode on your device, all the wireless radios are disabled. If your flight offers in-flight Internet services, you can turn on the Wi-Fi on your phone after you’ve enabled flight mode. This keeps the 3G/4G cellular radio off while allowing you to connect to the plane’s Wi-Fi network by following the airline’s instructions as will be provided by the crew.
Airplane Mode Usage Outside a Plane
Airplane mode is named as such because it is used most commonly while on a flight. The other importance of Airplane mode even when you are not on a plane include:
- it can help save battery life and speed up charging, as well as temporarily eliminate distractions. If you visit certain restricted areas or places with sensitive equipment, you may be asked to turn off your phone or activate airplane mode simply for safety reasons
- it is the season of making a lot of travels prepared to get through airport security quickly, taking the time to familiarize yourself with flight mode on your device will make for a more pleasant journey.
For the safety of all passengers aboard, be sure to keep your device in airplane mode for the full duration of the flight.