Choice of lifestyle influences our ability to maintain a healthy weight to a great extent. Weight loss is a reduction in total body mass which may be due to loss of body fat or body fluid. It can occur intentionally as a result of the conscious effort to maintain a healthy weight or unintentionally as a result of an underlying disease or malnourishment. Weight loss occurs when the body is using more energy (calories) for metabolism than it is getting from food. Energy in foods is usually measured in calories. Excess calories when consumed are stored in the body as fat reserves. These fats get used up when food is unavailable and this leads to weight loss.
People at one point or another seek to lose weight for some reasons. This includes for improvement of performance, to meet up with weight requirements, for aesthetic reasons and to live a healthy life. Weight loss in people who are obese can increase fitness and reduce health risks (delay the onset of diabetes and other excess weight-related diseases. Being underweight is unintentional weight loss and can be associated with health risks too. Weight loss plan is a program that can help achieve dieting goals. If you want to lose weight, you need a plan.
Steps to create a good weight loss plan
- Calculate your weight using BMI (Body Mass Index calculator. When you enter your height and weight, the calculator will display your BMI which helps you know whether you are underweight, overweight or normal.
- Watch what you eat. You are what you eat. Clean out junks and choose a healthy food plan that focuses lean proteins and fresh foods.
- Sweat it out. Regular exercise is very paramount if you must lose weight. Stop sedentary lifestyle and plan to exercise for at least 2-3 times a week. Make sure you choose an activity you enjoy to make the whole weight loss journey interesting.
- Set achievable goals. You must set reasonable goals when it comes to losing weight. You can be committed to losing 1-2pounds every week for the next one month. Once you achieve it, set another goal for the following month. Until you reach your desired weight. Then you can sustain your weight with a healthy lifestyle.
- Monitor yourself. Keep track of your progress. Get a measuring scale and diary for records. Also, you can use food journals to control what goes into your mouth.
What are the benefits of weight loss plan
- Helps in portion control
- Promotes 3-course meal
- It ensures that meals are healthily balanced n low in calories.
- It helps people to keep records easily (diary keeping)
- Promotes effective meal planning
Weight loss involves a lot of discipline and hard work. For a permanent weight loss, changes in lifestyle and diet must be permanent as well.