Nowadays when people hear “tweets”, some are at loss for words. It is actually the trending name for posts/updates on Twitter. Twitter is a social media platform (just like Facebook) and new users can own a valid account only by performing the twitter sign up process. This enables users to post updates in the form of pictures, short videos, GIFs, and texts in a stipulated number of characters. It is a networking and news site with millions of users all over the world. It is available in both web and app form for iOS and Android devices.
Procedures for a Twitter sign up
- Go to www.twitter.com or click on the app icon on your device and select “sign up”
- Enter your full name, phone number or email address (you can choose to click on use email instead).
- Tap on the “sign up” button below and then enter your carefully chosen password before clicking “ok”. Your Twitter account will be created. You can then set it up by choosing friends and turning on a notification.
Why sign up for Twitter?
- It gives you an opportunity to shout out to family, friends and the whole world if you so wish.
- It empowers people to become amateur journalists of life (by describing and sharing something they found interesting about their day or life).
- It is a way to maintain a low-cost social connection with others and influence them in a small or big way.
- Twitter gives users a stream of updates from friends, family, and followers in general.
- You can join thousands of people who advertise their services and goods on Twitter to reach out to many ends since there are several millions of Twitter users.
- Celebrities use Twitter to build a personal connection with fans.
How Twitter works
Twitter serves as either a broadcaster or a receiver. You can partake by creating a twitter account and searching for people or celebrities you will love to know more about and then following them (by clicking on “follow” next to their names). Users make use of tweets (which is a 140-character post or less) to broadcast interesting happenings around them to their followers. You can send broadcasts (tweets) daily, hourly or as often as you wish. Type what you want into the “what’s happening” box and tap on “tweet”. You get all the tweets of people you follow and it is good etiquette to follow your followers back.
Twitter combines microblogging, entertainment, instant messaging and texting though with a brief content but a broad audience. So if you want to inspire people or be inspired by people in one way or the other, then Twitter is a platform worth exploring.