Following the quest of internet users all over the world to share photos and videos of themselves, families, events of all sorts e.g. weddings, engagements, birthdays, football moments, Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger created a social networking service platform called Instagram.
Launched in October 2010, it is currently owned by Facebook and is available FREE on IOS and Android devices.
Sign up Page for iOS and ANDROID Devices
- Download the Instagram app from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android).
- Once the app is installed, tap the ICON to open it.
- Click on Sign up with Email or Phone Number. Then enter your email address or phone number. A confirmation code will be sent to your email or your phone number. Input the code and tap next. You can also tap Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account for existing users.
If you register with your email or phone number, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then click done. Already registered with Facebook, you’ll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you’re currently logged out.
Instagram Sign up page on a PC
- Go to www.instagram.com.
- Enter your email address, create a username and password or click Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- Registered with an email, click Sign up. Having a Facebook account, you’ll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you’re currently logged out.
If you sign up for email, make sure you enter your email address correctly and choose an email address that only you can access. If you log out and forget your password, you’ll need to be able to access your email to get back to your Instagram account.
Videos & Live feed Setup Procedures
For a better expression of one’s self and great moments, Instagram initially on its deployment incorporated a 15-seconds video which effectively competed with other existing video sharing applications and in turn gave Instagram users a greater room of expression other than Photo. To further improve Instagram videos, the 15-seconds video was upgraded to 60-seconds and a multi video post introduced which allowed up to 10-minutes of video to be shared in one post.
When someone you follow shares a live video, their profile picture will appear at the top of Feed with a colorful ring around it with the word ‘Live’.
Click on the profile picture to view their live video. you can also tap Comment at the bottom of the screen to drop a comment, and to like their video.
How do I start a live feed?
Open the Instagram app
- Tap the top left of the screen (where a camera logo is located) or swipe right from anywhere in Feed.
- Check at the bottom to see different options: TYPE LIVE NORMAL BOOMERANG SUPERZOOM REWIND HANDS-FREE Tap LIVE, then tap Start Live Video.
- The number of viewers appears at the top of the screen and comments appear at the bottom. Tap Comment to add a comment, and tap and hold a comment to pin it to the top so that viewers can see it more easily.
- To turn comments off, tap then select Turn off Commenting. Keep in mind that any keyword filters you’ve turned on will also apply to comments on your live video.
When you’re done, tap End in the top right then tap to confirm. Tap Save in the top right to save it to your camera roll, or share it to your story.
Do much more with Instagram Direct
Sharing a video and photos seem not to be enough as Instagram users need to privately interact with each other. Hence the introduction of Instagram direct. Here users who follow each other can do the following:
- Send and receive a private message for example photos and videos
- Share their Locations
- Reply private messages
- Take a photo and send to the recipient while still conversing
Follow the simple tips below to go to the Instagram direct; Tap the top right of the screen (arrow-like sign is situated). Swipe left from anywhere in Feed to see your followers and some more suggestions.