In recent times, smoothie recipes have become increasingly popular worldwide though they have long histories in some countries than others. A smoothie is usually made by blending fruits with liquid bases like yogurt, water, fruit juices, dairy products, and sweeteners. The content of a smoothie and their proportion determine its healthfulness. They are usually recommended as a healthy diet because of their large servings of fruits and vegetables. Smoothies quite often have more vitamins and minerals than most cooked foods.
Preparation of a smoothie recipes
A healthy smoothie should contain most of the following:
- A liquid base (yogurt, water, coconut water/milk, milk, almond milk, soy milk)
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Superfoods (maca, goji berries, chia seeds, Aloe Vera, flax-seed)
- Herbs and spices (ginger, cayenne, Cinnamon, mint, nutmeg)
- Sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, dates, sugar)
Start your smoothie with a liquid base. Protect the blade of your electric blender from damage by adding the liquid before the fruits. Use slightly less liquid for a thicker consistency and vice versa depending on how you want it. Avoid using lots of sweeteners and sweet fruits always as this can lead to excess sugar making it unhealthy.
Mouthwatering smoothie recipes
- Pineapple – watermelon smoothie: Blend 1 cup each pineapple and watermelon chunks, 1/2 tbsp freshly grated ginger, 1 tbsp honey, 1/2 cup ice.
- Banana smoothie: Blend 1 cup banana chunks, 1/2 cup soy milk, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 cup ice.
- Apple – carrot smoothie: Blend 1cup each apple and carrot chunks, 1/2 cup coconut water, I tbsp honey, 1 tbsp flaxseed, 3 mint leaves, 1/2 cup ice.
- Pawpaw – banana smoothie: Blend 1 cup each pawpaw and banana chunks, 3/4 cup almond milk, 1/2 tbsp ginger, 1/2 cup ice.
- Strawberry – blueberry smoothie: Blend 1 cup each strawberry and blueberry. 3/4 cup tiger nut milk, I tbsp dates, 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup ice.
- Orange – mango smoothie: Blend 1 each orange and mango, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 tbsp honey, 1/2 cup ice.
- Avocado smoothie: Blend 1cup avocado, 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt, 1tbsp honey, 1/2 tbsp ginger, 1/2 cup ice.
- Pineapple-spinach smoothie: Blend 1 cup pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup spinach, 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon, 1/2 cup coconut water, 1 tbsp honey, 1/2 cup ice.
- Watermelon – kiwi smoothie: Blend 1 cup each watermelon and kiwi, 1/2 cup almond milk, I tbsp chia seeds, I tbsp honey, 1/2 cup ice.
- Raspberry – strawberry -blueberry- Blend 1 cup each of the berries, 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup goji berries, 1/2 tbsp honey, 1/2 cup ice.
Rejuvenate your body system with vitamin filled smoothie recipes. it could be all you and your family needs to stay in good health. Always remember to serve smoothies on an empty stomach. Due to its liquid nature, a high hygienic environment is required to ensure is not contaminated. Smoothies are best stored in the refrigerators and served chilled.