Different people find different features interesting in several browsers but Chrome is a popular choice because of its simplicity and speed. It is very easy to get Chrome browser downloaded for free on your smartphone or tablet or your personal computer.
If Chrome is what you are using as your main browser, you might as well consider setting it as your default browser for easy access. This enables any link you click on your device to automatically open in chrome. The procedure for setting Chrome as your default browser varies depending on the operating system. It can be done in Windows, Mac, iOS devices, and Android.
How to get Chrome downloaded on your Android, iOS, and PC
- For Android and iOS devices, go to Google Play or App Store respectively. Search for Google Chrome and click download. This enables Chrome to be automatically installed once the download is complete.
- For Windows 10, 8 and below, go to Google website (Google.com/chrome/) and click “download Chrome “. Then click “accept and install” on the page displaying terms and conditions. Once prompted, click “save” for the download and read through the welcome dialogue.
How to set Google Chrome as your default browser
- Android – Tap on the “settings” button on your home screen, click on “apps” and all the apps installed on your device will be displayed. Click “advanced” at the bottom of the page and select “default apps”. From the page that appears, click “browser app” and choose Chrome. On the asking you “open with Chrome just once or always “, choose “always” and the files you open on your device will always be in chrome.
- IOS devices – you must jailbreak your device first. Then click on “Cydia” usually found on the home screen of jailbroken devices. On the displayed page, click the “search” button and search for “open in Chrome”. Then click the “install” button at the top right corner of the page to download and install it. Your iOS device will reboot to complete the installation process. Click “settings” on your device and you will see that a new option has been added to your settings app. Click “chrome” and then “open in Chrome”. This will set Chrome as your default browser.
- Windows 8 and below- click on “start” button at the bottom left corner of your computer screen. Open the control panel and navigate to “all programs”. Choose “default program” and then “set your default programs” option. Choose “Google Chrome” from the list at the left side of the window and then click “set this program as default” before you click OK.
- Windows 10 – on your computer, click the “start” button and then on “settings”. Tap on “default apps” and click “current browser” at the bottom under “web browser”. From the “choose an app” window, click “Google Chrome” and this sets it as default.
- Mac OS – open Chrome on your computer and click “more” at the top right corner. Select “settings” and click “make default” in the “default browser” section. If the “make default” option is not seen, then Google Chrome is already your default browser.
Before you can enjoy chrome, you’re implored to first get chrome by downloading it if it’s not in your device already. Then set it as your default browser for easy browsing.