Canned Response is a Gmail feature that allows Gmail web-based and mobile app users to create and save multiple email templates in their inbox. Users that receive a large chunk of email correspondences on daily basis and are required to respond to every one of them, then the new Gmail Canned response (CR) template will be of great benefit to you. You can easily enable, create, use, edit, or delete your CR templates. To create simply starts with you making some changes under your Gmail Settings.
Nothing can be so boring and tiring like having to repeatedly copy and paste the same email response over and over again. With the new Gmail CRs, you can automate a well thought out pre-written response to emails you receive. You can use or edit any of the prepared templates to instantly reply to emails while on the Go. Gmail CRs are designed to support your busy schedule. Be it Templates or CRs, both are basically the same thing.
How to Create a Canned Response in Gmail
Below are the steps you can use to create a CR template in Gmail:
- Sign In to your Gmail Account on your PC, MacBook or simply visit gmail.com on your browser
- Click the “Settings icon” at the top right corner of your Inbox home screen and then, select “Settings” from the drop-down menu
- Tap the “Advanced” tab
- Click “Enable” against the “Canned Responses (Templates)” line.
- Scroll down and select “Save Changes”. This will refresh your Gmail Inbox.
- Tap the “+ Compose” icon to compose a new mail.
- Type the message you want to save as a template.
- Click the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, hover over “Canned responses, and click “Save draft as a template.”
- Select “Save as new template”.
- Enter a “Name” for your canned response in the popup window that will appear and click “Save”.
- Click the “+ Compose” icon again to start a new email to test the canned responses, you just created
- Tap the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, hover over “Canned responses, and click on the response title you just created to insert it into the body of your mail. Once the response has been pasted, click the blue “Send” button.
- You can use the above steps to create, save, and send templates.
How to Edit Canned Response in Gmail
At times, you may want to change the existing Gmail CRs. Here are the steps that you can use to edit these templates in Gmail:
- Click the “+ Compose” icon to start a new email. Always make sure the entire message area is empty so that you can edit only the canned responses.
- Tap the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, and Select “Canned responses”
- Choose the template you want to edit or modify, from the “Insert” section, this will be imported into the body of your message.
- Edit template as you want.
- Go back to the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, and Select “Canned responses”.
- Select the same template as before, but under the “Save” section so that it will be saved over the existing.
- Tap “OK” to “Confirm overwrite canned response” prompt. This will overwrite your saved canned response and you are good to go.
How to Delete Canned Response in Gmail
Below are the steps you can use to easily delete templates in the new Gmail:
- Click the “+ Compose” icon to start a new email message.
- Tap the “Three Dots” in the bottom right of the compose window, hover over “Canned responses, and under the “Delete” section, click the canned response you want to delete.
- Click OK to confirm.
How many Canned Responses can I have in Gmail?
Canned Responses are pre-written emails that work great for a number of reasons. They save time and boost productivity as you can reply to common emails you get repeatedly, you can create as many as you like with no limits and they’re super quick and simple to do.
A canned response will not override existing text in the body of your new message except if you highlight it before inserting the template’s text. This means that you can type the message manually and then insert a canned response message template to have it included after your custom text. This very paramount to note while creating CRs.