Recently Google has made it possible to text from the web with Android Messages and also view Android Messages on your PC. You can now use Android Messages on your desktop browser to type. Just like WhatsApp web, Messages for the web allows you to pair your computer to your phone, so you can send and receive SMS from either device.
It’s important to note that your phone has to have service and your computer needs to be connected to a Wi-Fi network. If your phone is off, your computer doesn’t have Wi-Fi, you cannot use Messages for Web. The pairing process is easy. Using Android Messages on the web requires using Android Messages as your main texting app on your phone.
As long as your Android smartphone is powered on, you can text from a desktop computer or even other mobile devices — including iOS products . Aside from text, you can also send emoji, stickers, and images. Browsers that work with Android Messages for web includeChrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari and others.
How to get started with Android Messages on your computer
- Set it up by linking the computer with your smartphone using the following procedures:
- Open a new browser window on your computer and navigate to messages.google.com/web/. A QR code will appear.
- Open up Android Messages on your smartphone. (ensure that you have downloaded it on your phone before setting it up on your PC).
- In Messages, click “ Settings” (the three dots in the upper right corner).
- Then click “Messages for web.”
- Hold your phone a few inches from the QR code you see on your computer screen to scan it.
- You’ve now linked Messages on your phone to Messages for Web on your computer. your contacts will automatically populate on the screen, ready for you to start texting.
Get started with Messages
You can send and receive text messages, voice messages and so on using Messages. You can download messages from Google Play if you don’t have it.
Start chatting with one of your contacts
Contacts in your phone show in your message app and new ones can be added. Start sending texts by tapping on the ‘Messages app’. Then Click on ‘Start chat’ after which you enter the name, phone number, or email of the person you’re sending a message to. Finally, type your message and click “send”. That’s all
What more can you do with Android Messages for web?
Once you have Messages for Web set up on your computer, there are so many things you can do with it.
Messages for Web supports much of what you can see and do with Android Messages on your phone. You can send your friends emojis, photos, videos,. GIFs and stickers. You can also enable Dark Mode. You can block contacts.
As with Apple’s iMessage, Messages for Web allows you to exchange messages from your computer screen but you have to ensure that your app is always updated for maximum effect.