A2P SMS messaging is a closed loop messaging system where Application communicates to Persons in response to their requests. A2P stands for Application-to-Person and is also referred to as Enterprise or professional messaging. Following the desire to meet the needs of customers by various Industries, A2P SMS is on the front line in ensuring that customers get their desired feedback in record time.
Every customer desires an immediate attention to his/her request. Businesses use A2P SMS in several technical modes to communicate with these consumers. In all cases, communication is initiated from a business application to the individual, and not the other way round, as is the case with P2P (Person-to-Person) SMS.
A2P SMS Growth vs. IoT (Internet of Things)
The increased connections of Objects that interact with each other over the internet in our industries and homes today have led to the growth of A2P SMS. This closed loop SMS system makes it easy and fast to attend to millions of requests with real-time data from the application. In years to come, about 26 or more objects will map to an individual this will invariably increase A2P SMS.
SMS (Short Messaging Services) has always been a robust and powerful messaging tool. The Open-loop SMS process where humans type this messages in a way to attend to requests has been overcome with the growth of A2P.
Businesses that need to integrate SMS Solutions include:
- The Banking Industries
- Telecommunication industries
- Online Supermarkets and stores
- ISPs (Internet Service Providers)
- Cable TVs (Hulu, HBO, DSTV)
- Online Ticketing companies (Airlines, Uber)
What Businesses can do with A2P SMS
- Authenticate user’s requests online: Validating users details especially where full access to company’s application or personal profile is of the essence. OTP (One-Time-Passwords) are also generated by the application and transmitted through A2P SMS. This has helped the Banking sector and other financial institutions to reduce fraud and secure the investments of their customers.
- Deliver time-sensitive alerts: Every customer that uses the ATM (Automatic Teller Machine) for withdrawal or transfers desires a prompt feedback. These alerts are in most cases time based as the customer desires to know the account balance at the instant. Situations where customers need to be up-to-date with their departure time, interview time 30mins to the time. A2P comes in to play a vital role.
- Booking Confirmations: It helps to reduce long queues in the airport, bus and train terminals. Customers book and make their transactions online. A valid SMS to confirm their transaction goes to them through Application.
The most popular modes of using this messaging system are through SMS Application Programming interface (API) integration. Users can access via a web interface (by obtaining a username and password). The deployment of a professional SMS enterprise solution in organizations is another way to achieve secure messaging systems.